Gravia
  An exceptional residence on an exceptional area  

 

 

>Parnassos > Delphi > Itea > Galaksidi
  > Polydrosos (Souvala) > Kammena Vourla > Amfissa > Gravia
  Gravia
 

Gravia : A historic village with a population of about 1,050 inhabitants which probably took its name pidginly from the neighbouring ancient town of Karphia. It is the capital of the new Municipality and it is situated on the 33rd km of Amfissa-Lamia National Road. Gravia is famous for the historc battle given on 8th Mai 1821 by Androutsos and the other leaders of the struggle, who closed themselves in the legendary-historic Inn along with the 120 fighters and other supporters in the region and stopped Omer Vrionis, by cutting his way towards Salona and Peloponnese, targetting to the suppression of the Revolution. On the site dominates the statue of hero Odysseas and, reently, the historic Inn ("Hani") has been restored (It was inaugurated by the President of Hellenic Republic, M. K. Stefanopoulos and it is open to visitors). In a distance of 5 km to the South East, on the mountainsides there is the monastery of the Assumption of Virgin Mary (or Panasari), a significant monument, with a Byzantine church (with two domes), built in AD 1517.

The Municipality of Gravia is formed by: Kastellia , a village to the west of Gravia at an altitude of 500m, constructed during the Frankish Domination by the ruler Vonfatios. It owes its name to the castle whose ruins are still visible above the village. There are also the ruins of the ancient town of Erineus in the area of Agios Vasileios. After a few kilometres heading up in the direction of Giona, we meet Chani Zagana , a location of great natural beauty with a fir forest, shady plane trees and limpid waters. The surrounding area of some 24,000 hectares up to Athanasios Diakos and Pyra has been designated a "controlled hunting region " for which hunters from all over Greece and abroad can obtain a special permit and under the supervision of the Forest Inspectorate hunt various game such as pheasant, partridge, hare, deer and wild boar. Apostolia (Kato Kaniani), a small village at the foot of Mt Oitis, north-west of Gravia at an altitude of 520m. Mariolata , situated east of Gravia at an altitude of 380m, which has wide vistas and picturesque locations. On the nearby hill are the remains of the Doric town of Boeon. K a l o s k o p i (Koukouvista), an attractive tourist location to the north of Giona at a height of 1,040m. It offers magnificent views, abundant spring water, a healthy climate and beautiful locations. It is the perfect place for a summer holiday. It was also the birthplace of the brave hero of the War of Independence, Papa- Andrea Mori.

Oinochori (Pano Kaniani), a small village nestling amidst the oak trees on the sides of Mt Oitis, at a height of 900m, with natural beauty and cool springs (Kefalovrysi and Katero, with the cool plane trees). Outside the village are the ruins of the Doric town of Dryopes. In Oinochori rooms are being built . Sklythro , a small village built at an altitude of 800m on the side of Mt Oitis, surrounded by oak trees. Vargiani , a small village to the south of Gravia, built on the side of Mt Parnassos at a height of 900m. It became famous as a result of a battle won by the Greeks in the War of Independence on 24th September 1824 and was the birthplace of the chieftain Captain Liapis, whose daughter, Despo, was wooed by King Otho (Liapis was his highest-ranking officer) and almost became queen. Today, Vargiani is a traditional hamlet of elegant stone houses, many of which have been bought and restored by summer visitors.

 

Gravia
Gravia
Gravia
Gravia
Gravia
Copyright 2008 | www.elislasop.com